1864 Castillo de Olite remembers the tradition and grandeur

 

1864 CASTILLO DE OLITE

 

1864 Castillo de Olite remembers the tradition and grandeur of the court of the times of Charles III and its name refers to one of the most luxurious Royal Palaces of medieval Europe. Until the conquest of Navarra by the kingdom of Castilla in 1510, the castle was home of kings, where jousts and tournaments were held with wine, of course. Ever since 1864 we have been elaborating wine and it is now, with the mastery that years give, when we have chosen to launch a wine that lives up to the palace’s expectations, for the king that we all have inside.

THE CASTLE

 

The Castillo de Olite is a courtly and military castle that was built during XIII and XIV centuries in Olite, a town in Navarra State. It was one of the courts of the Kingdom of Navarra since the reign of Carlos III “The Noble”. He started to build and add to the Castle so it became the Palace of the Kings of Navarre of Olite or Royal Palace of Olite. Its spectacular and magical silhouette at the time, made it become considered one of the most beautiful ones in Europe.

1864 Castillo de Olite

Not only did it serve as an inspiration for us, but also for great and illustrious figures of the world of culture and fine arts such as the late Romanticism poet Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer (Seville 1836-Madrid 1870). The castle was an inspiration for one of his most important works “Rimas y Leyendas” in 1871. He evoked the medieval historical past, his wandering about the ruins and his imaginary reconstruction of the past splendor of the castle and its protagonists.

Part of this work was written in 1864 when he stayed in Navarra and in Olite specifically. He was inspired by Olite and he mentioned it in some of their legends such as “la Cueva de la mora” and “El Cristo de la Calavera” where he is transported to the era of the Reconquest with its knights, jousts and tournaments held in the Castillo de Olite.

It was 1864 when Bodegas Manzanos Campanas was founded. This is the oldest winery in appellation Navarra and where we elaborate this work of art that we called 1864 Castillo de Olite.

As Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer did, we also wanted to commemorate this date and place and we have elaborated what we considered to be our best bottled work of art: 1864 Castillo de Olite wine.

THE CASTLE

 

The Castillo de Olite is a courtly and military castle that was built during XIII and XIV centuries in Olite, a town in Navarra State. It was one of the courts of the Kingdom of Navarra since the reign of Carlos III “The Noble”. He started to build and add to the Castle so it became the Palace of the Kings of Navarre of Olite or Royal Palace of Olite. Its spectacular and magical silhouette at the time, made it become considered one of the most beautiful ones in Europe.

1864 Castillo de Olite

Not only did it serve as an inspiration for us, but also for great and illustrious figures of the world of culture and fine arts such as the late Romanticism poet Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer (Seville 1836-Madrid 1870). The castle was an inspiration for one of his most important works “Rimas y Leyendas” in 1871. He evoked the medieval historical past, his wandering about the ruins and his imaginary reconstruction of the past splendor of the castle and its protagonists.

Part of this work was written in 1864 when he stayed in Navarra and in Olite specifically. He was inspired by Olite and he mentioned it in some of their legends such as “la Cueva de la mora” and “El Cristo de la Calavera” where he is transported to the era of the Reconquest with its knights, jousts and tournaments held in the Castillo de Olite.

It was 1864 when Bodegas Manzanos Campanas was founded. This is the oldest winery in appellation Navarra and where we elaborate this work of art that we called 1864 Castillo de Olite.

As Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer did, we also wanted to commemorate this date and place and we have elaborated what we considered to be our best bottled work of art: 1864 Castillo de Olite wine.

BODEGAS MANZANOS CAMPANAS

 

Bodegas Manzanos Campanas, founded in 1864, is the oldest winery in appellation Navarra. It is based in Campanas, in the north of the appellation, just on the road to Santiago. The winery used to be a pilgrim hostel.

Bodegas Manzanos Campanas was one of the founders of appellation Navarra. In the fifties it was the first winery to elaborate rosé, the wine that made this appellation famous.

If there was a sign of identity that characterizes this winery it would be the fruitiness and freshness of its wines.

OUR VINEYARDS

 

We have used Grenache of clay-lime soils, old vines in bush and located on slopes of 500 to 600 metres high. Its production is medium to small and it reaches phenolic ripeness with a lower sugar content. The ripening of this Grenache is slow. 80% of the Grenache of this wine comes from the mid to low mountainside and the other 20% comes from the riverside.

The Tempranillo that comes into the Crianza is located in the mid mountainside and gives structure to the wine. The Reserva includes a coupage of Cabernet from Estella that gives the necessary body for it to be a wine of long guard.

We have used Chardonnay for the white because it is a variety that is very much adapted to our terroir. Our vineyards of Chardonnay in Cárcar achieve an excellent balance.

OUR VINEYARDS

 

We have used Grenache of clay-lime soils, old vines in bush and located on slopes of 500 to 600 metres high. Its production is medium to small and it reaches phenolic ripeness with a lower sugar content. The ripening of this Grenache is slow. 80% of the Grenache of this wine comes from the mid to low mountainside and the other 20% comes from the riverside.

The Tempranillo that comes into the Crianza is located in the mid mountainside and gives structure to the wine. The Reserva includes a coupage of Cabernet from Estella that gives the necessary body for it to be a wine of long guard.

We have used Chardonnay for the white because it is a variety that is very much adapted to our terroir. Our vineyards of Chardonnay in Cárcar achieve an excellent balance.

THE WINE

 

Gama 1864 Castillo de Olite

1864 Castillo de Olite displays the identity of our winemaking region and remembers the authentic Navarra wine that our grandparents used to elaborate.

In 1864 the Tempranillo variety was not as widespread, it was Grenache who gave identity to Navarra wine. The Tempranillo grape has become more and more popular and Grenache has been shifted to second because its cultivation involves more rick.

We wanted to remember the authenticity and winemaking identity of Navarra and have elaborated an exceptional wine with the splendor of the Grenache as the base and only complemented with Tempranillo in the case of Crianza wine. In our Reserva wine Grenache predominates and we have included Tempranillo and Cabernet Sauvignon.

The white wine of this range aims to stay loyal to the portrait of the region and its identity and is only elaborated with the Chardonnay grape.

Our red Wines have been elaborated in 500-litre barrels of French and American oak with neither being new ones. These barrels respect the elegance and delicacy of the Grenache, preserve its aroma and allows us to appreciate the divine grape that we have chosen for this wine.

For our white we have oak fermented the wine for six months and we have done the coupage in concrete vats. After clarification we keep it in the bottle. This wine has an enormous ageing potential thanks to its acidity and ph.

CONTACT

 

BODEGAS MANZANOS

Ctra. NA 134 – Km. 49
31560 – Azagra
Navarra – España
Tel: (+34) 948 692 500
Fax: (+34) 948 692 700
info@manzanos.com

All data provided through this form will be treated with strict confidentiality in accordance with Organic Law 15/1999 of December 13, on the protection of personal data, and weinform you that you have the right to access the file, rectification and cancellation of your data, being able to exercise such rights by sending a written request to MANZANOS ENTERPRISES SL CRTA NA 134 km 49, 31560, AZAGRA (NAVARRE). By completing this form, the sender gives his express consent to process the data included in it. The data provided will be assigned to the different companies of the group, and this data will contain the strictly necessary information to the correct identification of the sender, to carry out basic tasks of administration and management and sending advertising of new products.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By closing this banner, scrolling this page, clicking a link or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree to the use of our Cookie Policy. más información

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By closing this banner, scrolling this page, clicking a link or continuing to browse otherwise, you agree to the use of our Cookie Policy.

Cerrar